Trinity's Organ Committee was delighted to welcome Rhonda Sider Edgington to her Central Pennsylvania home for a concert on May 31, 2017 to celebrate the new console of our 1947 Wicks pipe organ. The concert had an added dimension as Rhonda was joined by illustrator and calligrapher, Timothy Botts who grew up as part of the Trinity family.
Please enjoy the following videos and audio clips from the concert.
Click here to listen to Church Bells Beyond the Stars by Cecilia McDowall
Click here to listen to Fugue on a Bird's Theme by Rachel Laurin
TRINITY’S PIPE ORGAN HISTORY
Trinity’s first pipe organ, a two manual instrument of 10 ranks built by the Estey Organ Company of Brattleboro, Vermont was installed in February 1914. It was a gift of Mr. Nathan Reed in loving memory of his wife Elizabeth Smaling Reed, and of Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate of Pittsburgh who assisted more than 7,000 churches by paying half of the cost of the new pipe organ. Elizabeth Reed was the accompanist for the then Trinity Glee Club. Prior to its installation, a pump organ was located in the front of the Sanctuary in both the 1873 and 1906 buildings.
The current organ, a 3 manual instrument of 29 ranks and 8 extensions, was installed in 1947 by the Wicks Organ Company of Highland Illinois. A majority of pipe work from the earlier Estey instrument was included in this instrument along with a Harp stop of 49 bars and set of 25 chimes. The 1,986 pipes in this organ range in size from 16’ in length to some smaller than a pencil. The pipes are enclosed in three chambers in the chancel area. Mr. Alfred Kuschwas of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral in Harrisburg assisted with the specifications and voicing of this organ.
Trinity Church gratefully acknowledges Brunner and Associates Organ Builders for their dedication and skill through this restoration process.